Dr. Melrose Rattray is Jamaican, but she has lived in Jamaica, England, Canada, and now resides in New York.
She received her Doctorate in Marriage and Family Therapy from Eastern University and Palmer Theo-logical Seminary in Philadelphia and is a licensed Social Worker. Melrose received her Masters in Social Work from McGill University in Canada, a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of the West Indies, and a Diploma in English Bible from Western Pentecostal Bible College in Vancouver, Canada.
Over the past thirty years, Melrose has used her skills in the following areas:
- Assistant Coordinator/ Probation Officer/ Intake Counselor in the Family Court in Jamaica
- Lecturer – Department of Sociology & Social Work, University of the West Indies, Jamaica for 14 years
- Founder/Director: HELP FOR PARENTS – a private Counseling and Parenting Education program that was in operation in Jamaica for 17 years. Help For Parents Jamaica has received national and inter-national recognition, endorsement and support.
- Adjunct Professor: Medgar Evers College
- Program Coordinator: Research Foundation, POISED For Success at Medgar Evers
- Director: Anchor House Women’s Facility – Rehabilitation Program
- Founder/ Director: Help For Parents and Families (New York)
- Group Work Specialist: conducting workshops, seminars.
- Conference speaker: in Jamaica, the Caribbean, England, Scotland, Canada, and the US.
- A Certified Mediator
- Individual and Family Counselor
- Co-host of a Radio Talk Show – ‘Family Time’ RJR in Kingston, Jamaica (12 years)
With such a wide range of skills, Melrose is experienced in addressing issues such as marriage, parent-ing, child and adolescence, women’s issues, Interpersonal and conflict resolution issues, parent/child relationships, couples counseling, etc.
Melrose has been a consistent and committed Christian for almost 40 years. She is also a Bible teacher and preacher and an Associate Minister at the Lenox Road Baptist Church where She currently lectures in the Lenox Bible Institute in New York. She has direct responsibility for, Women, Family and Counsel-ing Ministries.
She was one of the co-founders of the 22-year old Fellowship Tabernacle Church in Jamaica. She served there as an Associate Minister for 10 years and taught at the Whole Life Ministries Bible Training Center. Melrose has lived in New York for over 12 years. In 2006, she set up private practice in Brooklyn under the name Help For Parents and Families – The practice offers counseling, training and consultancy.
She has been married and is the mother of two children and the grandmother of two.